Sunday, September 5, 2010

Uffizi, Pisa & Volterra

Bugger the Corniches.  Just drive to Volterra.

The roads leading to the town, from any direction, are so much fun.  So long as you aren't stuck behind some idiot doing 40k/h in a 90k/h zone for half an hour.

View of Volterra - not my photo

This morning started early, so I could get to the Gallery Uffizi before it opened, since I didn't book a ticket.  Of course, on the very short walk there, I made a wrong turn, so my 10 minute walk turned into a 30 minute one.  But anyway, despite warnings of having to stand in line for half the day, I got into the gallery within an hour.  They only let unbooked people in every 20 minutes, and apparently only about 30 at a time, but it seemed they were being generous today. 

Any important artwork that's not in the Louvre, is at Uffizi, IMO.  Most importantly, there are rooms dedicated each to Leonardo and Botticelli.  And, even better, my two favourite paintings ever, Botticelli's The Birth of Venus and Primavera are here.  Along with the painting of Eleonora di Toledo (of which there are two versions).  There are also masses of Roman and Greek statues as well. The building itself is something to see.  Unfortunately, no photos allowed here, either. 

Then it was off to Europcar down the street to get a GPS - and after lining up for half an hour, found out they didn't have any there either.  So two taxi rides to the airport and 44 euros later, I finally got one, so I could go to Pisa and Volterra.  Like I've said elsewhere, unless you want to waste time, money and have much stress, don't use Europcar.  Under any circumstances.  I think ruining your holiday and providing as rude and terrible service as possible must be in their company statement or something.



The area of and around Pisa is really pretty, and around Volterra it's absolutely breathtaking.  The views from Volterra itself over the countryside alone make the drive up there worth it.  The sight of Volterra perched on top of the hill on the way up is beautiful - but unfortunately, there are few places to stop and take photos!



I stopped in Pisa for only 1 1/2 hours to see the tower area.  Other than the lean, obviously, the other main thing that struck me about the Tower is how small it is.  It really looks like it's a lot taller in photos!  Taking photos of it is funny too, because without realising, you tend to find yourself turning your camera to centre the Tower in the photo, so it's not leaning at all.  The whole area around the Tower is worth seeing.  The Tower itself, is just weird to look at.  It's so wrong.

Handily, 100m from the Tower (as advertised) is a McDonalds, so I was able to continue my very important investigation into the differences between the stores around the world.  (The burgers are called the same, so I really think they should call fries, fries).  And I needed to keep moving as I was on a tight schedule, already stuffed around by Europcar, and McD's is just so handy.

View from Volterra's walls

Then it was a lovely drive through the countryside to Volterra.  It's fun and easy to drive to, and the city is ringed with free car parks (within the walls is a restricted traffic area, and you wouldn't want to drive in there anyway). The town is smaller than I thought.  When I got there, they were having some sort of event in the main piazza - involving much drum beating, trumpeting, costumes and flag waving/throwing.  I have absolulutely no idea what was going on, I only caught the tail end of it, but it sure was a spectacle! 

Flag twirling, drum beating, trumpet blowing competition
I think this team won.  If there was something to win.

The winning team???

There are ruins of a Roman theatre being excavated next to where I parked too.
Roman Ruins

There is also a castle.  The views from the city are stunning as well.

Castle
One of their main, traditional industries is alabaster, and there are so many different items you can buy in the gift shops.  I was saved by weight and exhorbitant postage costs, but I could have filled up my suitcase.  Everything from jewellery to vases, plates and bowls, candle sticks, trinket boxes, mortars and pestles... the list is endless.  And it was all (mainly) pretty things, not tacky or gaudy.  As I said, lucky the stuff is so heavy...

And no.  There is in fact, no fountain in the main square under the clock tower, and the square itself is rather small.  Because I know you were wondering. 
The actual city square
When I finally got back into Florence it was almost 10pm - after many deviations thanks to roadworks everywhere, blocking the direct route onto the motorway from Volterra - so I had a late dinner of spaghetti ragu at a restraunt next to my hotel.  I know I should try something different, but spaghetti ragu is just so good!!!  I need to try some filled pasta next.  Maybe...

Tomorrow it's on to Venice and the mosquitoes, but more importantly, a stop at Maranello for a few hours, on the way.  Better get my Ferrari gear out for the day!

2 comments: