Sunday, September 12, 2010

Race Day at Monza

Did I mention the mozzies here are brutal? The welts aren't as itchy as back home, but they last for days and days - I'm covered in red welts, I look like I have measles or something! If only there was a shot against mozzies too.

Race day at Monza. It really is something, being at Monza when a Ferrari wins. The tifosi have well and truly fallen in love with Alonso now. I almost feel sorry for Flippi - even before qualifying, you wouldn't have known he existed. They completely ignored him.

It was another beautiful day - 25c I think, and sunny, but it felt like 30c at least in the stands. It took over two hours again to get to and from the track, despite the fact I found a more reliable train line. You spend more time travelling to and from the track than you do AT the track each day.

The atmosphere is good, as expected, but I would think it's even better over where the smaller stands and general admission areas are, I think the main group of really mad tifosi are there. The main, more expensive stands are mostly made up of a mix of people from all different countries, all supporting different teams, and so there isn't a great deal of mingling, simply because everyone is speaking a different language. You can't just start chatting to the person next to you if they are speaking Spanish to each other. Or maybe it was Italian. It could have been Portuguese...


Monza is one of those races I think you need to experience, at least once in your lifetime, but I really have to say, in all honesty, for an all round event and atmosphere, Melbourne is far, far better. I think this is mostly down to the organisation, lack of travelling time, and extras around the track, but also a huge part of it is, most people do speak the same language, so it's easier to have a chat with anyone. I met more people on the way to and from the racetrack this weekend, than I did at the actual track.

Having said that, being here has got me all revved up for Melbourne again next year!

There were a few Aussies who made the trip too! Heaps of poms, but they said it was only a two hour flight or something from London, so there you go.

There were huge cheers when Hamilton crashed out, and almost as huge cheers when Alonso overtook Button after the pit stops. They all went mad when Alonso won of course, you'd think he'd won the WDC! Then everyone crams onto the track, and runs towards the podium, which for some strange reason is at the opposite end of the straight, AWAY from the VIP, corporate and premium stand areas, so you can't actually see it from your stand.

But given literally tens of thousands of people were trying to cram through a one metre gap they opened up in the fence to the race track, I decided it was best not to bother.


Vettel's strategy was a huge gamble, but luckily worked out in the end, to finish in front of Webber. As a Ferrari fan, I should be happy that Alonso won, but as a Kimi fan, he shouldn't have bloody been in that car in the first place... (I'm still struggling with the whole supporting Ferrari thing this year).

It was back to Duomo for dinner, and I had THE best gnocchi ever.  I know I said that about the on I had in Venice, but this really was THE best.  It was creamy and cheesy and mushroomy.  Even without the yummy sauce, the gnocchi itself would have been good.  I'm so learning to make it when I get home. 

So tomorrow is my last day in Milan, and last full day in Italy. Tuesday I head out first thing, fly to Rome for my flight to KL. I've tried, really tried to avoid it, but tomorrow is going to be a lazy shopping day. Not taking home some clothes or shoes from Milan is like driving in Formula 1 for seven years and not taking home a win...

... oh wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment