Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Kuala Lumpur

Screw Milan.  If you really want to go shopping, KL is the place to be!  And you really can get whatever you want - from designer to the rip offs, and everything in between.

I absolutely LOVE KL.  People here speak English better than in Europe, they are genuinely friendly, polite, and helpful.  It's a really welcoming place, and made me feel right at home.  The stickiness of the air takes a bit of getting used too, especially when you are walking around, but it's no unbearable.  It's clean, tidy, and I feel completely safe walking around on my own.  The only annoying thing is the people who run the dodgy stalls that you sometimes just can't walk around.  No, lady doesn't want to buy a damn watch!

I had to have a nap when I got into my (fabulous) hotel today, because I had barely slept for two days.  The flight was uneventful, but I didn't sleep.  After ready my book and watching a movie, I tried to drift off, but just as I did the stewards called for a doctor's assistance over the PA, if there were any on board.  I never did find out what happened, but it can't have been anything major.  Then I discovered Ever After was an option on that flight for movies, and that was that.

Good thing I had the nap too, because then I found out that today is the Malaysia day, where they celebrate their independence, and there is a huge fireworks show being lauched from the top of the building across the road, at midnight, from which there is apparently a good view from the hotel's pool deck. 


You really appreciate a decent hotel which actually provides the full complement of toiletries (finally) when your own are floating around Italy somewhere, and an ironing board and iron when you have limited clothes (again because they are stuck in damn Italy). 

Given I was feeling a little lost without my luggage, and I needed some more essentials anyway, and the Golden Triangle is on my doorstep, there really was only one option in the situation. 

So I headed out and bought a new suitcase (a good Samsonite for half the price I would have gotten it back home - and given I was going to buy this size suitcase when I got home anyway (having finally conceded my normal suitcase really is too large) - this whole losing my luggage thing has turned into a cost saving exercise, really). 

To kill some time until midnight, I went for a wander in the direction of the Petronas Towers, which look fantastic at night.  And purely by accident, I discovered officially THE best shopping centre in the entire world, at the foot of the towers. The centre is purely designer, but also has some more middle range desigers in there like Guess, Esprit, etc - but if you want your Prada, Chanel, Jimmy Choo or Ferragamo, this is the place to go! 

Needness to say, this is where I'll be spending tomorrow.  Like I said, screw Milan!

My laptop cable is also floating somewhere around Italy, so I have limited PC time (a product of the cheap flight from Milan to Rome, with only one carryone strictly allowed, therefore having to fill my hand luggage with my laptop and handbag rather than cords and the things I would usually always have with me, just in case...).  I even had to buy a bloody phone charger.

Agh!  But I'm not going to think of that.  Because I'm in KL, and it's absoluteluy fabulous. And tomorrow, I'm determined to get some Jimmy Choos.

So goodnight, and see you Saturday!

Oh, I almost forgot.  I found Tim Tams in the supermarket.  TIM TAMS!!!!!   This is offically the best city in the world. 

Yes of course I bought some.  Don't be stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment