Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Roma

Today, I got lost in Rome.

I don't mean figuratively, romantically lost.  Literally, hopelessly, lost.  Numerous times.  The often narrow and always going in odd directions streets aren't always well signposted, and it's very easy to get turned around.  Signs for the major tourist attractions are virtually non existent, and if they are present, they point you in the right direction a mile or so from the site, then don't offer any further direction thereon.  And as I said, the streets don't all go in proper directions.

There is a good side to always getting lost though, because you get to see streets and sights you otherwise wouldn't.  Rome is a beautiful city, obviously full of history and culture, and you can't walk far - even in the wrong direction - without coming across some sort of Sight.  Usually, piles of ancient rubble and fallen columns. 

My plane from Nice was delayed last night, so it was after midnight by the time I got into my hotel.  Even so, the taxi ride - with my very helpful driver Patrizio pointing out the sights (sorry ladies, no resembelance at all to that Patrizio) - was interesting.  Even at night, the Colesseum is sight to behold, and we drove right past it, as the hotel I'm staying at is just up the street.  My hotel itself is okay - I had to have a cold shower this morning which was... invigorating... and again, no iron, tissues, mini bar, shampoo and the like, or even a fridge to keep drinks cold, but wireless internet is provided free and is relatively fast, and the staff are excellent and extremely helpful, without even being asked. 

I have to say, Italians in general are incredibly friendly and helpful.  Maybe a little too much of the former sometimes, but you can't have everything.

But I digress.

Inside the Colesseum
This morning I set out for the Colesseum, which is overwhelming when you are standing next to it.  As with the sights I saw in Paris, the photos can't prepare you for seeing the sights in the flesh.  Well, stone.  And marble, where it's not been destroyed by the Christians.  Anyway, They say that over 700,000 people were killed in the Colesseum back in the day. 

Next was a walk to the Palatino Hill, where Romulus first founded Rome.  The Emperors' Palace was later built up here, and continually expanded upon by each, to prove their superiorty.  The palace evenutally came to cover the entire hill, and the hill needed to be expanded to fit it all, hence a lot of the Palatino hill is made of brick.  The palace would truely have been something to see, and would have surpassed all of the palaces that are in France (yes, even including Versailles). 

The Emperor's Home Theatre
Unfortunately now, you really have to use your imagination.  All that is left is some of the brickwork - some part due to time, but mainly wars, earthquakes, barbarians and even worse, Christians, have totaly destroyed the wonders of ancient Rome.  The various Popes and the like didn't like the idea of actually having to pay for bricks and marble for their Vatican and cathedrals, so they resorted to stealing it - I mean, 'recycling' it, from the ancient Roman buildings.  Apparently they justified this because they were pagan buildings and therefore could be destroyed, despite their splendor and importance in history, and having stood for over a thousand years before they came along, but who can argue with a Christian's 'logic'?...

Anyway, as a result there is no marble sheathing, no mosaics, and very little brickwork left of the Palace.  If you want to see the Palace, you have to go to the Vatican to see the marble there. 

End of rant.  It just really bothers me that anything good is always destroyed by Them that shall no longer be mentioned.

Circus Maximus
By the Palace is Circus Maximus - again, you really have to use your imagination.  Apparently it was bombed in one of the wars, but I can't vouch for that - mostly it was just looted over the years and possibly used for building materials.  In the photo you can see the Palace on the left - a little further along out of shot is the viewing balcony for the Emperor. 



Raphael's Tomb
I also went to visit the Pantheon, which has an opening in the top of the Dome which lets in the snow and rain. Thankfully today was a sunny day, although I'm told it is a sight to see. The Dome is as wide as it is tall, and the hole is meant to help it hold up structrually. Within the Pantheon is Raphael's tomb, as well as two Roman kings. The Pantheon has pretty much remained in it's original state, the only thing replaced is the flooring, which has been replicated (not sure what happened to the original).









Inside the Pantheon

Trevi Fountain
After a few more little Piazzas and fountains and getting thoroughly lost along the way, I made it to the Trevi Fountain.  Beautiful, but somewhat underwhelming - I was expecting it to be bigger I think, but mainly it was due to the fact it's squished between buildings, and I always assumed it was in a large Piazza, with... space.  Photos are so deceiving.  Apparently it's a sight to see at night, but I wasn't game to be wondering the streets of Rome at night on my first night, given my ability to get lost in full daylight.

So I threw my coin over my shoulder, and headed back to my hotel for the night.  In the right direction, I'm happy to add. 


President's House

1 comment:

  1. best part of rome is you can have peroni beer with your big mac

    ReplyDelete