Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day 2 - Eiffel Tower, Versailles


I take back everything I said about the Louvre yesterday. I have now seen Versailles...

... and it makes the Louvre look like a dump.

But going back a step, I visited the Eiffel Tower this morning. It seriously is one big mofo, and the views are absolutely spectacular.



Then it was down to Versailles. I spent half a day there, and it was nowhere near enough.
Versailles Front Gate

I saw enough of the insides of the buildings - spectacular, and the Hall of Mirrors isn't done justice in photos.

Hall of Mirrors

 - but I'm planning another half day down there, just to wander through the gardens properly, I barely saw half of them. Of what I've seen so far - and I suspect even including what I've yet to see - Versailles is my favourite, I absolutely fell in love with the place.

Room in Versailles Palace
And if the main palace isn't enough, Marie-Antoinette also had her own home in the Petit Trianon, with stunning grounds, and there was another huge 'house' in the Grand Trianon, which was used by Louis XIV and Louis XV, until it became 'too small'. Unfortunately all of the original furnishing was removed during the Revolution, so all the furniture there now is from Napoleon's time.

Petit Trianon

The only way I can really describe Versailles is with some photos.


Formal Garden
Rear of Versailles Palace


Bed Chamber


Family Chapel

No comments:

Post a Comment