Saturday, August 21, 2010

Day 4 - Invalides, and back to Versailles

Bread comes with every meal. None of this having to order it as an extra rubbish.

Today I went the Hôtel des Invalides. A lot of it is a military museum, which didn't interest me, but the facade is impressive!! The dome also serves as a crypt, and there are a few Frenchmen there, but the biggest draw is the massive tomb of Napoleon, which is directly under the dome. War veterans/invalides are still housed there now, and it's surrounded by beautiful gardens. I don't have enough internet time or awake time tonight to post the photos, so I'll do that another time.

Then I walked to the Pont de l'Alma to see the Liberty Flame, and found it was on the other side of the river and I couldn't be bothered crossing - but seeing it from the other side of the river, it didn't look that impressive anyway. The bridge is over the tunnel where Diana had the crash, so there was a bit of morbid curiosity there too. Although, funnily enough, it looks like every other tunnel under the river...

The rest of the day I spent down at Versailles again. I still don't think I've seen everything there, the gardens are never ending, and absolutely full of hidden treasures. I would have seen more if I'd spent one full rather than two half days, but even though I was expecting to spend a lot of time there, it still caught me out. The weekend is definitely the time to go, because they turn the fountains on, areas that you can't access during the week are opened, and they play music throughout the gardens, which makes for a beautiful atmosphere.

One other thing I'd wanted to go back and look at was the Queen's Hamlet, which is a gorgeous series of buildings - more like cottages - surrounding a lake on Marie-Antoinette's estate. I guess if she got sick of Versailles Chateau, and the two Trianons, she could escape to the Hamlet. It would have been a good life!!! (until the whole guillotine thing, anyway...)

Tomorrow is my last day and night here. I've seen most of the major sights, there are a couple more I'll do tomorrow. Five days hasn't been enough here, I could easily spend another week. I absolutely love Paris!!! It's been very kind to me as wall - tomorrow is 30c again, before dropping down to 23c when I leave on Monday. It was the perfect week weather-wise to be here!

1 comment: