Friday, August 20, 2010

Day 3 in Paris

Today was an absolutely gorgeous day - bordering on too hot. Did I really just say that? It was only meant to be 27c, but it always feels several degrees hotter here - the humidity factor? Lack of wind? Not sure. It's also amazing the difference of the sun here - I've spent three days out in the sun (and my sunscreen didn't make the final cut packing... figured I could get some here, but I haven't seen any so far) and although I'm a very little burnt, I can't actually even feel it - the only way I even realised is the red skin.

I got to see a lot of different sights today. I love the Paris Metro. It makes life (and feet) so much easier!! I think subways are the only bearable form of public transport.

Chanel Store

Very first was a trip to the very first store that Coco Chanel opened, just around the corner from my hotel.  It's huge inside, and everything is very drool-worthy. 



Champs-Elysées/Arc de Triomphe

First was a walk up the Avenue de Champs-Elysées, to the Arc de Triomphe. It's a really nice walk for the first half, a wide, tree lined avenue. The second half turns into a commercial district. The Arc, like everything else, is impressive in both its size and detail.


Champs-Elysées from Arc de Triomphe to Place de la Concorde



Sacré-Coeur


A short Metro trip to the Sacré-Coeur was next. Montmartre is a gorgeous area, sitting on top at the highest point in Paris. It's definitely good exercise trekking up the steep steps to the Sacré-Coeur, especially in the heat!!! It's beautiful inside, but unfortunately you aren't allowed to take any photos.






Jardin du Luxembourg

These gardens, just south of the river, are beautiful, and very busy. You could spend a few hours wondering around here if you had the leisure to. I didn't unfortunately, so it was just a quick walk through on the way to the Panthéon. The Palais du Luxembourg, situated in the gardens and built by Marie de Médicis.
Palais du Luxembourg


Gardens in front of the Palais
La Sorbonne

The University of Paris, just around the corner from the Panthéon.


Panthéon

The Panthéon was originally built by Louis XV as a celebration upon the recovery of a serious bout of gout (as you do). Now the crypt beneath houses the tombs of some of the great men and women of France, including Voltaire, Rousseau, Victor Hugo and the Curies. In the centre of the Panthéon, Jean Foucault, a physicist, hung a huge pendulum from the dome in 1851, to prove the earth's rotation. I never studied physics, but I'm sure someone who knows stuff can explain how it works.

Panthéon
Foucault's Pendulum

Then it was dinner time, which I had in a cafe in the Place de la Madeleine, passing Opéra National de Paris Garnier and La Madeleine, another church.

La Madeleine

Opéra National de Paris Garnier

2 comments: