Sunday, August 29, 2010

Moyenne Corniche, Eze & Cannes

Moyenne Corniche in the middle, and the
 Grande Corniche at the very top of the mountain
I started today early, with a drive up the Moyenne Corniche, before it got too busy.  Driving the Moyenne Corniche was something I really wanted to do before I left, and I picked the perfect day for it - it was the only day since I came to Nice that's been perfectly clear up in the mountains.

The Moyenne Corniche is a great driving road - so long as there isn't much traffic - and the views along the way are absolutely spectacular.  There are numerous spots along the way where you can pull over and take in the views of the Sea.

I stopped at the medieval village of Eze, which is perched up high on a mountain.  The village is beautifully preserved, and you can walk through the narrow streets - most of them are so narrow you can reach out and touch the buildings either side.  At the top, surrounding the ruins of the old fort, is an exotic garden of desert plants. 

The views from the very top are nothing short of spectacular. You can see Nice Airport, and all the way to Cannes in the distance.  As I said, luckily it was a beautifully clear day, because the rest of the week the mountains have been shrouded in mist. 


View from the top of Eze


Cannes Festival Building
After driving back into Nice, I took the train to Cannes, which is about a 40-45 minute ride, depending on the stops.  For those who love sandy beaches (rather than the pebble variety) Cannes is the place for you.  Most of the beaches along the main strip are private, but if you walk a little further along there are plenty of places, packed full of sunbathers.

Beautiful Cannes Beach
I took the Petit Train tour around the city - aside from the beach here isn't a heap to see, other than the old town, which has a cathedral on top, as they all seem to.  The main beachfront is lined with swanky hotels, including the famous Carlton.  It's a city to be seen in, and it would be something being here durng the Cannes Film Festival!


The Carlton
 
Tomorrow is my last day in France, as I fly out to Rome tomorrow night.  I'll be sorry to say goodbye, the two weeks have absolutely flown by, and there is still so much I didn't get see!

Adieu France!

No comments:

Post a Comment